The campus was establish in 1981 but learning and teaching started to take place in 1983 under the banner of Prince C.N Mahlangu Technical College, named after Prince CN Mahlangu King Mayisha the 2nd.
The campus was established in 1966 by Mr. Gert van Blerk who was the Deputy Principal of the Technical High School with part time classes at the school. A year after, in 1977 the Technical Institute was established with Mr van Bla as Principal Business Studies was introduced 5 years later in 1982.
Mpondozankomo campus was established in the year 1980 operating by the name of Mpondozankomo (a Nguni coinage of two words “Mpondo and Nkomo” that could loosely be translated into an English phrase “cow horns”) Technical College.
The campus opened its doors in 1968 as Witbank Technical College with six educators and Mr.L.D Venter as the first principal. The college was mainly established to cater for both practical and theoretical qualifications for the growing demand of artisans in the region due to the industrial explosion when four steel factories started production, and the need for coal expanded.
Waterval Boven site was established in 1958 as a high school until the year 1990. It offered outdoors programmes or team building projects under the management of the Department of Environment Affairs as an environmental centre from 1991 until 1999.
Nkangala FET College had adhered to the call from Government to become responsive in addressing the skills needs in South Africa. As a result the College has established an Extended Learning Unit to respond to the National Skills Development Strategy which constantly creates a new skills base geared towards addressing the needs of the economy in order to sustain its projected growth path.
Cnr Haig & Northey, Witbank P O Box 2282, WITBANK, 1035
T. +27 (0) 013 658 4700