NATIONAL CERTIFICATE (VOCATIONAL)
What is the National Certificate (Hospitality Qualification) programme?
The National Certificate (Hospitality) is a programme at each of level 2, 3 and 4 of the NQF. This programme is designed to provide both the theory and practice of Hospitality. The practical component of study may be offered in a real workplace or in a stimulated workplace environment. It will provide students with an opportunity to experience work situations during the period of study.
What are the minimum entry requirements to the programme?For entry into the National Certificate (Hospitality) at NQF Level 2, you require:
- A year end school report for grade 9, 10, 11 or 12 certificate; or
- An NQF Level 1 qualification; or
- An approved bridging programme designed for the specific purpose to access NQF Level 2; or
- A Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment to meet the basic requirements for access to NQF Level 2.
How long is the qualification?
The National Certificate (Hospitality) programme is a full year programme at each of the NQF levels of study. A student is issued with a certificate on the successful completion of each level of study, that is Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4.
Which subjects make up a National Certificate (Hospitality)?
In order to obtain a National Certificate (Hospitality), a student is required to take a total of 7 subjects. These include 3 fundamental subjects and 4 vocational subjects.
Which are the fundamental subjects?The 3 fundamental subjects are:
- First additional language - which must be the language of teaching and learning;
- Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy; and
- Life Orientation.
What are the Vocational subjects in Hospitality?The vocational subjects in Hospitality are:
- Food Preparation
- Hospitality Generics
- Hospitality Services
- Client Services and Human Relations
What vocational activities would this give you access to?The holder of the National Certificate (Hospitality) will be able to:
- Manage a guest house
- Deal with client services in an accommodation facility
- Work as an assistant cook /chef preparing food in a restaurant, hotel, or guest house
- Work as waitron
- Work as a housekeeper in a hotel, inn, hospital, guest house, etc.
What career opportunities do I have after completing the National CertificateThe National Certificate (Hospitality) provides an opportunity to access careers in any of the sectors listed below:
- Food and Beverage Management
- Hotel Management
- Accommodation Services
- Events Management